This is a topic I have been thinking about for quite some time. Recently I read a post on Book Rock Betty, No One Knows A Good Book Like YOU Do, about how we choose the books we choose. I started thinking about this recently when I looked at my to be read list. It is long and then I add-on all the books I have picked on Netgalley. I also have all the books I need to finish for my challenges, sigh!
The old me, as a reader, use to just pick up whatever book I wanted. Here are the highlights.
- I rarely read new releases and most times had no idea about when books were coming out.
- Most times it took me a few years to get around to a “new” release.
- I read a lot of chick lit and got stuck in a certain genre.
- I would buy a book and read it pretty soon afterwards. I never bought books and had them unread for a long time.
- I would go to the library and just browse for whatever jumped off to me from the shelf.
- I never looked at reviews or discounted a book based on ratings.
- I relied on friends, librarians, and booksellers if I was stuck on what to read next.
- I would take breaks from reading and never thought much about it.
- I didn’t read over 25 books a year. In fact, I don’t think I even kept track of what I read and how much.
The new me, as a reader, is a bit more intense. Here are the highlights.
- I have stacks of books that I need to get through.
- I read through reviews and have let some of them sway me.
- I feel pressure to get through a lot of books (entirely my own pressure).
- I listen to hype.
- I keep up with what books are coming out, what is popular, and what is being turned into movies.
- I feel the need to get more books, even though I still have so many to read (see the first bullet point).
- I read all kinds of genres and still haven’t finished some “chick lit” I wanted to read years ago.
- I think about the fact that I haven’t read very many classics and it kind of bothers me.
Sometimes I miss the old me and how I approached reading. I loved being able to go into a bookstore or library and just pick something. Then actually take it home and read it right away. No stacks of books or long list of what I have to read. I was reading for pure pleasure and gave no thought to anything else. I do still read for pleasure, but now I add-on a lot of other needs/wants I feel like I want to accomplish. Then I think about the fact that the old me never would have read a lot of the books I have read. I would have missed out on some fantastic reads. I would have assumed Young Adult would not have been for me. I might have thought I was the only over 30 something looking at younger reader books.
Overall I am happy with the new me as a reader. Every once in a while I long for the old me.
What are somethings that have changed, as a reader, for you? Do you find it is for the better now or before?